Monday, January 02, 2012
Better Health Resolve in 2012
Whether you are a believer in annual resolution creation or not, January is a good time to do a bit of healthy living housecleaning. Here's a few items to consider as you enter 2012:
1. Go ahead and schedule any necessary health examinations. Get them on the calendar now and you'll avoid conflicts later.
2. Toss outdated prescriptions; each does have its own shelf life which can affect efficacy.
3. Review immunization schedules. Will you be traveling abroad this year? Some countries have specific, vaccinations required for travel.
4. Create a medical i.d. for both you and your family noting name, address, vital statistics, blood type, emergency contacts and any specific health needs. This can be made (business card size) on your home computer, laminated at your local copy & print store and carried in a wallet, backpack or purse. Medical i.d. "jewelry" is available, at nominal charge, for the active person and should be worn when away from home in case of unforeseen medical emergency or accident.
5. Take more water breaks. Adequate hydration is necessary for optimal body functioning. If you feel thirsty, it's too late.
6. Commit to eating all the colors of the vegetable rainbow.
7. Set healthy sleep patterns.
8. If exercise does not appeal to you, try parking a bit further from your destination; taking the stairs; raking the lawn -- it all counts! 15-20 minutes of daily exercise leads to health improvement.
9. If you're undertaking a new physical fitness regimen, and you're an active older adult, come pay us a visit so you'll have benchmarks from which to mark progress or can receive consult on any potential health concerns.
10. And, as always, don't hesitate to call us with your questions or make a quick visit by to meet with one of our board certified emergency room physicians. Most of all...Enjoy a positive, successful and gratifying new year!
Posted by North Atlanta Urgent Care